As we get excited about an Easter weekend full of family, friends, and fun, remember to keep an eye on your furry friends. Many common treats and traditions that we enjoy over the Easter holidays can cause serious harm to your pets.
Easter is one of the busiest times of year for veterinary clinics. Chocolate poisoning in dogs is the Australian Animal Poisons Helpline‘s most common reason for phone calls over the Easter holiday period.
Although delicious to humans, chocolate, along with a variety of food and drinks popular at Easter, can be extremely dangerous and potentially life-threatening to animals says Dr Rod Sharpin, PETstock Veterinarian.
If you’re lucky, you might get chocolate treats from the Easter bunny this weekend. While that???s great news for you and me, it can result in an emergency trip to the veterinary clinic if you don’t keep those treats well away from your furry family.
Why can’t my dog or cat eat chocolate?
Chocolate is poisonous to pets as it contains caffeine which increases heart rate, and an ingredient called theobromine, which is naturally metabolised in the human body, but not in cats or dogs. This leads to a toxic build-up of the substance, resulting in some very serious symptoms, particularly liver failure.
Naturally found in cacao beans, the amount of theobromine depends on the type of chocolate, with darker, purer chocolate varieties carrying the highest levels.
The most dangerous kinds, though, are dark chocolate, chocolate mulch, and unsweetened baking chocolate but it all depends on the percentage of cocoa (the lower the better) says Dr Mark Lawrie, CEO, University Veterinary Teaching Hospital Sydney.
This doesn’t mean white chocolate is fine, it still contains theobromine, and pets should never eat it.
Although chocolate is also bad for cats and rabbits, they’re less likely to eat it as they can’t taste the sweetness. Your cat is more likely to be interested in playing with the wrapper than the chocolate itself
How much chocolate does it take to make a dog sick
You should never feed your dog ANY chocolate. However, accidents do happen.
While there is no right or wrong answer to this, usually, the amount of chocolate a dog can tolerate will depend on:
- how much they’ve eaten
- how old they are
- how large they are
- how pure the chocolate was
- While online chocolate toxicity calculators are helpful, urgent treatment may be needed if your dog has eaten chocolate. Please contact your vet as soon as possible for advice.
What are the signs of chocolate poisoning in dogs
Symptoms of dog chocolate poisoning include:
- vomiting and/or diarrhoea
- increased thirst or urination
- high temperature and blood pressure
- elevated or abnormal heart rate
- collapse and death
Dr Adam Sternberg, Regional Clinical Director of Greencross Vets,says Theobromine is a toxin that can be linked to hyperactivity. Affected pets can have tremors, seizure, vomiting, and diarrhoea. Ingestion can be fatal in severe cases. If your pet eats chocolate, take them to the vet immediately.
What plants are poisonous to cats and dogs
- Lilies are toxic to cats, and just brushing up against the flower can do damage. You might think your cat has enough common sense to not eat something poisonous, but have you ever noticed how easily the pollen falls from lilies? The huge leaves on this flower mean that just walking too close to a vase could be enough to leave your cat seriously ill. Given how meticulous most cats are about their grooming, the pollen can easily be ingested which can lead to kidney failure.
- Many species of lily can also be toxic to dogs.
- Irises and chrysanthemums are also very popular in flower arrangements this time of year, these can be poisonous to cats too so you should avoid having them in your home, said a report from BingoRadar UK which conducted a study.
- Daffodils may be an iconic springtime staple, but the flower, leaves and bulb can be very toxic to cats and dogs. Luckily the most poisonous part of the daffodil is the bulb, and it tastes very bitter so not many pets will be looking to eat them. But if you???ve got a very playful pup and your bulbs aren’t buried very deeply, make sure they’re not dug up to double as a toy to chase across the garden.
Fruit and vegetable plants
- Some outdoor plants have leaves that can be an irritant, tomatoes plants, strawberries, marrow etc can produce hay-fever like symptoms in cats like sneezing, drooling or sore eyes.
Prevention is always better than cure. Some basic training and safety can do 99% of the work when it comes to keeping your pet safe.
Ensure before the long weekend you have made yourself familiar with your vet clinic’s emergency care provisions.
If you’re ever worried your cat or dog has ingested anything poisonous or toxic you should always phone your vet. If you can, make a note of what they’ve eaten, when and how much and try to remain as calm as possible around your pet.
Remember, a treat isn’t the only way you can show love to your four-legged friends. Enjoy the long autumn nights and treat your dog by walking that Easter indulgence off!
What should I do if my dog’s eaten chocolate
If you believe your dog ate chocolate, call your veterinarian immediately.
Chocolate consumption in dogs can produce anything from mild flatulence to vomiting, diarrhoea, and increased heart rate. It can take up to 12 hours for any symptoms to show.
Remain calm even if you’re very worried, as your dog will pick up on your anxiety, which will increase their heart rate further. Talk to them in your normal voice to help convince them everything’s fine.
Your vet will tell you if you need to bring your dog in or whether you just need to keep a close eye on them. You should never try to induce vomiting in your dog yourself.
How do I stop my dog from eating chocolate?
Make sure you remember where chocolate is hidden when setting up an Easter egg hunt, as a dog’s keen sense of smell means they can track down secret chocolate stashes!
It’s common for a dog to sniff out and eat chocolate even if it???s still in its wrapper, says Dr Nicola Cotton, Vision Australia‘s Veterinary and Reproduction Manager.??
Always keep chocolate out of their reach. Teach your children to never let your dog have any of their chocolate or lick their fingers when they’re eating it.????
The leave it commands can be your best friend in these situations.??Most dogs have an instinctual desire to please their owners, you’re their alpha and the following command gives them a sense of purpose within the pack. Once they’ve mastered the leave it command, it should stop them if they’ve picked up something they shouldn’t or at least make them pause long enough to give you a chance to get to them.
Why isn’t chocolate toxic to humans
Chocolate isn???t as toxic to humans as the human body has an increased ability to successfully breakdown and excrete theobromine. You would need to eat about 85 full-size chocolate bars at once and are far more likely to wind up in the emergency room with a severely upset stomach than with a chocolate overdose!??
??Can my cat or dog eat hot cross buns?
No! It’s not just chocolate hot cross buns can also make your dog or cat sick.
???Grapes (and the raisins found in hot cross buns) are toxic to dogs and cats, with the potential to cause kidney failure,??? says Sharpin.??
Although scientists aren’t entirely sure why they do agree that dried grapes are even more toxic to our pets. Does this mean currents, sultanas and raisins could result in kidney failure in your pet.??????
Unlike chocolate, it???s not a case of size or quantity eaten. There have been cases of a single grape killing an 80kg Great Dane and a 2kg Yorkshire Terrier surviving, as there???s no definitive answer to why they’re so bad for dogs, you should never let your pet have any.
If you’re making your hot cross buns from scratch, make sure your dogs are never left near your proving dough. The yeast causing your dough to rise can cause your dog a lot of discomforts if they eat it. The gases can cause their stomach to bloat and even twist in extreme circumstances which often results in emergency surgery.
As it swells inside, the dough can stretch a dog’s abdomen and cause severe pain. In addition, when the yeast ferments the dough to make it rise, it makes alcohol that can lead to alcohol poisoning! says Lawrie.
What Easter foods can my pet eat
If you???re planning on cooking an Easter roast, there???s plenty of food you can treat your dog with. A tasty piece of raw carrot would give them something to sink their teeth into, and many green vegetables are perfectly healthy for your pet too. Just remember, too many cruciferous vegetables can have the same unfortunate gastral side effects in dogs, as well as humans!????
Remember, the cooked bones from a roast are a big no-no for your dog or cats as they can create multiple health issues. These can range from tooth damage, foreign body obstruction, constipation to splintering and causing damage to the lining of the gastrointestinal tract.??
Why not give your cat their very own special Easter feast, like a can of high-quality cat food in the same flavour meal you???re having! You can even serve it on a fancy dish if you want.??
Wanting to give something more festive? Why not make some of these??Berry good Easter eggs??ahead of time???
Safe Easter treats for cats and dogs.
Easter for pets should be fun, which is why you should include your furry friends in your traditions. If you regularly make Easter baskets for your children, surprise your dog or cat with one, too. You could include healthy treats and a new toy, instead of a basket, put the gifts in a new dog or cat bed they can relax in later.